Monday, February 15, 2010

CNY Lou Yee Sang

Finally there's chinese new year feel for me today cuz I had Yee Sang
Yee Sang is a Teochew-style raw fish salad. It usually consists of strips of raw fish (most commonly salmon), mixed with shredded vegetables and a variety of sauces and condiments, among other ingredients. Yusheng literally means "raw fish" but since "fish (鱼)" is commonly conflated with its homophone "abundance (余)", Yúshēng (鱼生) is interpreted as a homophone for Yúshēng (余升) meaning an increase in abundance. Therefore, yusheng is considered a symbol of abundance, prosperity and vigor.

Thanks to Frances for dragging us 2 that were tired-and-no-energy-who-is-trying-to-cook out for dinner. Or else I don't think I will get the chance to remind myself it's still CNY and I get to eat Yee sang!
I actually felt CNY is over. First in my lifetime and it's only past one day of CNY! Something is really wrong with me -_-" I miss celebrating CNY with my family.
Lucky enough, this Yee Sang tasted quite good. (of course, can't compare the ones in Malaysia) It's very hard to get good tasting Yee Sang because it is difficult and time consuming to make.

I felt satisfying now after having CNY food or maybe I should say Chinese food.

3 comments:

fiery said...

wtf ur yee sang looks like nachos...

wey said...

ahahah yea! that's wat i thought!! but.. it taste like yee sang biscuits! ahahha.. lucky it's not nachos!

ching∞ said...

precisely. such WEIRD looking yee sang!