Thursday, July 22, 2010

DRUNKEN AND BRUISED - ALVIN'S SIGNATURE DISH IN MASTERCHEF

I felt the HAPPIEST TODAY!!
Why?? Because I cooked Drunken and Bruised today, and IT WAS FREAKIN FANTASTIC!

Yes. I am Alvin's Biggest fan, because his food is really homey and I'm familiar with his dish that he has put up. He just make me hungry everytime he cooked.

I'm never a good cook at home but this dish is definitely going to be MY SIGNATURE DISH until I die!



What is Drunken and Bruised?
Basically it's Drunken Chicken (chicken cook in xiao shing wine) and the Bruised Veges (long beans with dried prawns, chilli, garlic and more!)



While I was waiting for the chicken to cook, I was worried that the chicken will come out tough and chewy. ( I did that before for the chicken rice, the steamed chicken was so tough I had to throw the whole chicken away)



Luckily enough, my chicken was perfectly cook. Soft, juicy and tender. XD
Joe helped me chopped up the chicken into perfect pieces.



The Salad.. gosh.. it's sweet, it's salty, it's sour, it's spicy! It's just Full of flavour! LOVE IT!
I can't believe all the flavours can go so well! This dish is very very appetizing.
I really hope you guys can try it.. It's that good ok. I'm not lying!



Tadaaaaa... my Alvin's Drunken Chicken and The Bruised Salad!






Joe, Frances and I couldn't believe how tasty this dish is!

You guys should give it a try. It's very easy and very delicious!
You can get the recipe from Alvin's website the Cinnamonpig.

oohh.. I can eat this forever.. ^_^
Haha.. I think my family will be very proud of me~


Here's the recipe of Drunken and Bruised.

Drunken Chicken:

Ingredients

1 medium-sized organic chicken

1L Shao Xing wine

500ml mirin

500ml water

60g dark palm sugar

2cm ginger, peeled and bruised


Method

Bring Shao Xing wine, mirin, water, palm sugar and ginger to the boil. Gently place the chicken in the broth and turn down heat. Gently simmer for 45-60 minutes. Take off the heat and allow chicken to cool in the broth.

Serve chicken in a large bowl with the broth. Serve as part of a shared meal with steamed rice and bruised salad.


Bruised Salad:

Ingredients

3 garlic cloves

2 tbsp peanuts, roasted and coarsely crushed

2 tbsp dried shrimp, rinsed and drained

2 small wedges of lime

6 cherry tomatoes, quartered

8-10 snake beans, cut into 5cm lengths

4 bird’s eye chillies

1 lebanese cucumber, shredded


Dressing:

3 tbsp dark palm sugar

3 tbsp fish sauce

3 tbsp lime juice


Method

In a mortar and pestle, pound garlic, peanuts and dried shrimp to a coarse paste. Add lime wedges and bruise gently with pestle, then add tomatoes, beans and chillies, working them carefully with the pestle and a wooden spoon. The spiciness of this dish depends on how much you bruise the chillies. Mix in cucumber. Dress salad just before serving. Adjust the taste accordingly – salad should have a balanced combination of the heat from the chillies, the sourness from the lime juice, the saltiness from the fish sauce and the sweetness from the palm sugar.


updated 26/7/2010:

I have taken some photos of the ingredients that is used in Drunken and Bruised. Hope this will help some of you. You can get them from the Asian Grocery shop. Just ask people who works there, they will be happy to tell you where it is.

Palm Sugar.
There's a few types. cylinder shape, round shape and etc. But I prefer to use this particular one.
Cylinder shape and it's not rock hard. You can tell the difference right away after touching all different kinds in the shop.
I chose this because it's easy to chop and melt.


This is Japanese Mirin.
Mirin is a kind of rice wine (similar to sake), consisting 40-50% of sugar.
You can get this in the Asian Grocery shop, in the Japanese section.


Shao Shing Wine. Xiao Shing Wine.
(Pronounced as See-Ow-Sing Wine)
As long as you can see this 2 words printed in the bottle, that's the one. get it.
U can find this in Asian Grocery shop in the sauces section, together with soya sauce or probably near to the rice vinegar bottles.


Hope this helps!
Have fun!

7 comments:

ching∞ said...

wow.. should I wait for you to come back and cook for us? :p

Jo Serwey said...

I will cook this definitely when I get back! Pls buy 500ml of MIRIN and 1L of shao shing wine ready for me! hahahaha

Anonymous said...

This is perfect. Thank you for the recipe and so soon after viewing

Anonymous said...

Where do you get the Shou Xing wine from in Sydney? Chinese store? Liquor store? Help!

Jo Serwey said...

Hi, at Chinese groceries shop at the sauces section. Or Just ask that person at the counter :) they will grab it for you. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Where do you buy that palm sugar? I always find it difficult to find different sugars...

Jo Serwey said...

Hi Anonymous,
I have updated this post!
Added a few photos of the ingredients. Hope it helps! :)
Have fun!!